Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Building and installing passive solar heating panels

Lee Michaels wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| I posted a few photos over on
|| news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking but am aware that not
|| everyone has access to the alt.binaries hierarchy. For those who
|| don't, and for anyone who'd like to see a bit more of the project,
|| I've put the whole collection of photos (and a bit of text) on a
|| web page at the link below.
| It seems as though he could have put a lot more solar heaters on
| that wall.

There was room for one more (where the window is located), but he
really wanted to be able to look out on the pond and livestock.

| Just how much heat is he going to get out of this installation?

He's going to be getting a _lot_ of heat - probably enough that he'll
be intentionally trading heat for fresh air on clear midwinter days.
On the not-so-clear days he should be comfortable during the daylight
and early evening hours.

The construction crew was amazed by the force and temperature of the
airflow, but the fact is that the potential drops off fairly rapidly
around the time of the vernal equinox. I suggested they return for a
look-see sometime around the winter solstice, when output will be at
its maximum. They had a bit of difficulty accepting that the output
might be almost doubled. :-)

The plan is to add a couple of slow-turning ceiling fans to push the
warmest air down to warm the shop floor (which will serve as a sort of
"thermal flywheel") to extend the warm hours during winter.

Because the panel is mounted vertically, output will be negligible
close to the summer solstice.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar