Posted to rec.woodworking
S S is offline

Default Plexiglass

SWDeveloper wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:54:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

I need some help!!!!!

Some times I do to.

Cutting? Scratch a line with a steel hook/barbed object over and over until
the scratch is about 1/16" deep. then break along the line like glass.
Most hardware stores sell a cheep $3-$4 tool that resembles a Pocket knife
for scoring the line.

That's the way to go. Get this tool specifically made to cut plastic,
about $5. You can cut plexi on a tablesaw with a turned-around blade,
but it is nasty without a LOT of ventilation.

There are plenty of $4 versions for occasional work out there but if you
score long lines with thicker material you should consider one with a
real handle. I have an old version of the Fletcher model (#5120?) with
replaceable blades - more like $25 it think. Same company that makes
glass cutters, point drivers and the like for real matting and window
work. I've had the thing for over 25 years and it is still fine (no
association).
http://www.fletcher-terry.com

Also, put your straight edge on the side you want to keep until you get
a decent score line. Go over it many times increasing the depth just a
bit at a time. It should make a sort of squeaking sound and roll off a
bit of the material. This is not like glass where you just scratch it,
it needs some depth or it will not follow the line when you snap it.

- S