Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default minor gloat and what to do with it?

On 30 Mar 2007 22:31:46 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I built this "prototype" from Poplar and used General Finishes water
based Rosewood stain and hand rubbed shellac. It came out so beautiful
I keep it in my home.

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Furniture/JL-BC-POP.htm

Very nice. finish looks almost exactly like a solid mahogany
barristers book case my Grandfather made many years ago.

Thanks to all for the ideas. Think I'll experiment with some finishes
and use this very nice wood for something that shows. I currently
need a bedroom set to replace kid's stuff (grown and gone). Maybe
that is what it will become.

Frank

On Mar 30, 2:04 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
Contractor friend called me, said he had a little poplar left over
from a job, he would drop it off if I wanted it. Said sure. He
showed up with about 75 bdft of select poplar finish dimensioned to 1
x 6, and a few 1 x 4's, in lengths from 8' to 15'.

It is all perfect.

Generally, I've only used poplar for drawer sides, backs, dust
partition frames, and other internal uses for my cherry, oak, and
walnut furniture. I did do one sofa table for a womans beach house,
but it had some shell carvings attached and was painted white to match
the rest of her beach house furniture.

Has anyone used it for show, and what finish schedule seems to work
best. Hate to hide this pretty wood.

Frank