Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Riving Knife

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thought you were looking at Makitas? They all seem to come with a
riving knife AFAICS.

I still am, but I can't find out if the fence tucks under the base. And the

I am surprised you can't modify your B&D to do this... my one will rip
much closer that 40mm. I will do some photos of it shortly and post
them, you may be able to see a way of copying its layout,

Makita doesn't seem to come with a case, which is a PITA and adds to the
cost.

Some do:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...ws&product=976

In fact there are quite a few on this page with cases:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...ircular%20Saws

(The Hitachi saws are *really* nice IME as well)

The purpose of a riving knife AFAIUI is to stop the cut closing up &
binding on the blade. So how do the saws without the RK overcome
this - or don't they. I was wondering why they hadn't fitted them?

Took mine off when I bought the saw nearly 10 years ago and have never
touched it since..

But I wondered why they now make them without - given all the safety regs
these days?

Probably because for the majority of users it is not usually a risk
factor. Most cuts made are in man made boards. I have never seen
ordinary softwood close up on cutting. Its only when you get into less
common species, or very deep cuts (issue only on bigger saws obviously)
that the potential for this problem increases.

--
Cheers,

John.