Posted to alt.home.repair
Italian Mason Italian Mason is offline

Default how to remove old roofing tar from brick wall

On Mar 30, 1:18 pm, wrote:
Hi! I have a brick wall that has old roofing tar on it. What is the
best way to remove it? I thought of heating it and scraping off and
then treating the remainder with some sort of chemicals. Will a
roofing torch and/or chemicals do the work? If so, what kind of
chemicals do I need? Any advice is appreciated!

Unfortunately all of the other suggestions will work for the surface
tar. Dissolving the tar will only make it seep deeper into the pores
of the brick. What you can do is if there is a small area (not a whole
house) use a spot sand blaster, its just a hand held unit that the
average home compressor will run and you can control how much tar and
brick you take off. The other solution if it is a large area is a
larger sand blaster. Sand blasting works well because usually the old
tar is somewhat hard and this is what you want NOT to SOFTEN IT the
brick will soak it up like a sponge and it will never come out. If you
have already softened the tar you might want to consider altering the
rest of the brick in a manor that it looks "used" for example painting
some of the other bricks and then wiping it off, rubbing some
dissolved tar on some of the bricks, adding some mortar mix to some of
them. Spreading these suggestions throughout the wall will look the
best. Good luck
http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com