Anthony

Default wiring a 3 phase compressor motor question

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in
:

"Anthony" wrote: Single phase (110V) is as you describe. 230V power,
is actually 'two phase' power, and they are also out of phase with
each other, so that you get somewhat the same effect as 3 phase.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, but that ain't rite. 230 volt power, (in the US) consists of
two hot lines, each 115 v from ground, and 180 degrees out of phase,
so the difference between them adds up to 230 v. Two phase would
require four wires, one pair carrying a voltage that is 90 degrees out
of phase with the other. It is not used. I remember it as being
archaic in my old EE textbook, which, itself, is about 60 years old.

Hrm.....
Two hot feeds 180° out of phase.....does this not make 2 phases? Would
not one phase be a single sine wave? Two phases would be 2 sine waves
shifted by some degree, and three phases would be 3 sine waves shifted by
some degree.......maybe i'm wrong here,......

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email