Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Riving Knife

On 31 Mar 2007 00:30:18 -0700, mused:

On 31 Mar, 08:16, wrote:

If the saw jams at the front, no harm done, as the wood is pulled
against the baseplate, so nothing goes anywhere. If the saw jams at
the back, the circ saw is thrown upwards at the user. So I kept my
riving knife.

NT

they also protect against forceful upthrust caused by pushing the saw
to the side, which is an easy thing to unintentionally do.

I just keep a tight grip.

Most of my work is awkward to do with a riving knife in the way, and
the stuff where a riving knife wouldn't be in the way is usually
chipbord of some sort which generally wouldn't close in in the blade
as you cut it.
--
Regards,
Stuart.