Posted to alt.home.repair
Berkshire Bill Berkshire Bill is offline

Default Siding in the rain?

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 5:05 pm, "3G" wrote:
"comcastss news groups" wrote in
| Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is
damaged
| already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water
gets
| in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
| the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
| planned.
|
| I like your thinking! very helpful
| As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there
very
| well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good
weather.
| I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
| Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?
| I'm guessing I'll poke around looking for soft spots?
| At most the side will be exposed for 1 more week.
|

| Thanks
|
| Steve

just a thought
the problem I see with residing a lived in home is:
if the water gets in the wall you will have insulation and sheetrock
getting wet
which in turn will get moldy.

Excellent point. Plywood won't be harmed by temporary wetness, but
how are you going to keep water from running into your windows, doors,
etc. If it was me, I'd tyveck it after demoing the siding. Make sure
you flap the tyveck over the window fins/flashing.

I suppose this could be one of those jobs that could be covered with a blue
tarp until the rain stops.

Bill