Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,wpg.general
Melanie Melanie is offline

Default Can anybody explain what's happening?..Additional Info

Lou wrote:
On Mar 26, 1:34 pm, Melanie wrote:

RicodJour wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:56 am, wrote:

Water getting under the shingles and the saturating the plywood
underneath. Getting in the soffit, and then running down the outside
wall. Looks like the flashing wasn't done properly, should have
atleast 18" under the shingles to the edge of the roof to prevent ice
damns. Better have someone have a look at it very quick.

The Ice & Water Shield membrane (or approved equal - would somebody
kindly offer up a generic term so I don't have to keep writing "or
approved equal"? Thanks!) should extend from the edge of the roof up
to about 3' inside the line of the exterior wall. The ice damming
problem is usually due to heat from the house interior. Just dealing
with the roof overhang portion won't solve the problem.

Wow...thanks for all the input! I can tell there's a lot of experience
here with these things!

We had new shingles and flashing and eavestroughs done last year..all by
the same outfit.

We insulated the attic in '02 with bats to R50 making sure the vents
were clear (hubby had to clear away some wood chips that were spread up
there partially blocking vents). There's no insulation in the overhang.
Hubby also removed and replaced old soffit vents last summer further
clearing them out to ensure proper ventilation when refitting new ones.
There are plenty of vents on the roof as well that the roofers installed.

We did not have icicles hanging from our eaves this winter/spring as I
saw on other houses in the neighborhood suggesting heat escaping through
attic/roof. NOt sure if these are ice dams?

Nothing vents to the attic. Only bedrooms and bath on second floor and
no exhaust fan even in the upstairs bath. Plumbing vents were not
shingled over either.

We never had this problem until we had roof/eaves re-done last year.
This did not occur either during the rains following roof/eaves
replacement...only with the spring meltdown. And it pretty much is only
happening on the one side of the house.

We're working on getting another gutter person down to evaluate and
estimate costs for replacment (thank you guys for that sound piece of
advice!). Unfortunately these guys left a bit of a sour taste in our
mouths right after the job was done which I won't get into here...hoping
they'll come through and do the decent thing and fix this up!

In the meantime I'm going to get hubby to go up there and inspect things
...check for flashing at least.

Thanks again everybody!!

Melanie

When Hubby insulated in "02", did he leave enough space between the
roof sheathing and the insulation for air to circulate from the eaves
to the inside of the attic? Or did he stuff as much insulation in
between the rafters as he could?
When the gutters where installed, did they use any kind of flashing
from the roof to the gutters?
Lou

Yes, lots of space in our attic...probably another 5' to the roof from
the insulation I'm guessing...

They billed us for flashing so we're assuming they did...