Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

Default Minor basement floods

wrote in message
ups.com...
| My question is about minor rain related floods. I know some of you
| have had
| experience with floods large and small. Mine thankfully have been
| small. 3
| times in the last year my Sump has not been able to keep up with the
| rain water
| that has been falling. I replaced the old one with a 1/3hp pedestal
| one and it
| happened again.

your house could be built around ledge rock forcing the water in/up.

| I lost the carpet and a foot of drywall to this flood luckily my
| furniture is
| fine with no major damage. No i am faced with redoing my basement
| again. I am
| not doing it until I have figured out the root cause which my theory
| is the
| grading of the lot and get a industrial sump pump.

is the water coming through the walls
or from under the floor?
a pump usually means high water table not grading problem.

| What is a good sump pump that handles a highly active well? How many
| Hp would
| you recommend?

1 1/2 hp

| When regrading the lawn what is the best soil to use?

4 in. top soil
8 in. below foundation top

| When I refinish the basement what flooring is most resistant to flood
| damage?
| Vinyl, laminate, Hardwood, Tile or carpet?

tile would be best

I would probably install a second pump in the opposite corner than the
one you have now (if the cause is high water table).