Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Siding in the rain?

On Mar 30, 2:16 pm, "comcastss news groups" wrote:
Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is damaged
already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water gets
in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
planned.

I like your thinking! very helpful
As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there very
well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good weather.
I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?

In my mind it is best to fix anything suspicious while the wall is
exposed. Places where water has been getting in will be blackish in
color and maybe slimey to the touch. Poke around where the nails and
pry a bit on the edge are to see if they are still holding anthing
down. Buy more sheets than you need and try to replace full sheets
rather than just patching bad spots.

You may also find damaged insulation when you open up the wall
cavity. The ultimate decision on what to replace and how it up to the
opinion of the carpenter and the budget of the homeowner. If the
budget is there I would replace anything that's wet or has been wet
including insulation. Just be sure to get the wall cavity dried out
first.

When it is dry then put the push on to get the new insulation and
sheathing up while it is dry. I like to staple a new vapor barrier
facing the inside of the house. Use 6 mil poly and just wrap it
around the studs before putting in the new glass. When putting up the
sheathing it can be helpful to use some glue or caulk where sheets
meet. This will protect your hard work until you can get the
housewrap and siding up.