Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Riving Knife

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:14:48 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

Looking for a new circ saw to replace my old B&D - which is a great saw, but
the fence doesn't tuck under the base, so it won't rip less that 40mm - and
is big & heavy.

Looking for a 160mm ish saw with a 50mm depth of cut & I notice that many
circ saws no longer have a riving knife fitted.

I've removed the one on my old B&D because its a PITA in many ways, but I
can always re fit it if I need to.

Thought you were looking at Makitas? They all seem to come with a
riving knife AFAICS.

The purpose of a riving knife AFAIUI is to stop the cut closing up & binding
on the blade. So how do the saws without the RK overcome this - or don't
they. I was wondering why they hadn't fitted them?

Took mine off when I bought the saw nearly 10 years ago and have never
touched it since.
--
Regards,
Stuart.