Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default ice maker odor/taste questions

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:26:55 -0600, jst wrote:

The ice in my Whirlpool side by side has just started having a chemical
type of an odor and taste. The fridge is clean and i am stumped. Do ice
makers have any seals that could have broken to let a small amount of
oil or grease into the water supply? Also, it has a new water filter and
there is no odor or taste to the water.

First you need to identify when it picks up the odor.

Throw all the ice away and clean everything and pour vinegar in your
tray and leave until it dumps. Then just dump and throw away the
next batch.
Start testing the next batch as soon as it dumps, but test some and
leave the rest in the bin, testing them after they have been there
overnight..
What I'm suggesting is that your bin and fridge air is flavoring your
ice, rather than the water.