Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] c-engstrom@verizon.net is offline

Default Powermatic 3520B lathe.

On Mar 30, 10:45 am, " wrote:
If anyone out there has recently received a new Powermatic lathe maybe
you can answer some of my concerns.

I am getting ready to order my new Powermatice 3520B lathe but am
concerning about how I
am going to move it after I get it on my driveway.

How completely assembled does the lathe arrive? Do the legs come
seperate or bolted to the lathe? I assume the tailstock and headstock
can be easily removed to lessen the weight?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

bob cook

Hi Bob -- I have a 3520A, essentially the same. I can take it apart
and move it by myself if I borrow an engine hoist sort of crane from a
friend and lower the bed and headstock assembly onto a wheeled cart.

Motor and headstock weigh about 150. You can remove the motor, 50 lbs,
by undoing two bolts and disconnecting the wires from inside the
little box on the motor. Be sure to record their proper positions.
Then the headstock can be only 100 lbs but don't drop it on your toe.

Legs are 75 lbs each and will stand up by themselves IF they do not
have swivel-foot screw-jack levelers on them (DAMHIKT). You need an
8mm hex-driver on a ratchet drive with 6" min. extension to get to
socket-head bolts that attach legs to bed (same for motor to
headstock).

The bed is about 220 lbs, no problem with a hoist and wheeled cart to
put it on but definitely a two-person job otherwise, and a strain at
that.

Good luck with it. It's a nice lathe and you'll have a lot of fun with
it.

Best--

Chuck Engstrom

You can move bed and legs still put together if your path of movement
will accommodate that. They are attach