Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Green Wood?

Another method is to turn the green wood to final thickness, about 1/2
to 1/4 inch, and let it dry and warp, then sand and finish. Usual
drying time is one to two weeks. Turning thinner reduces the chances
of cracking, as long as you dry it slow. Sanding is a bit of a chore,
and it really helps to have variable speed (not a reeves drive), and a
power sander.
robo hippy

On Mar 30, 3:22 am, Steve Russell wrote:
Hello Jesse,

My website has an educational library that has several articles on drying
wood by various methods. The main educational library is located he

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...-articles.html

Welcome to woodturning and best wishes to you in all of your woodturning
endeavours!

On 3/29/07 6:13 PM, in article
et, "Jesse"

wrote:
Thanks for the advice on the new tools .It all makes sense so i will
hold off a bit longer before i go and get some new ones.My next question
is: I have access to a fair bit of green wood both cherry and red oak
.How to you guys go about using it on a lathe without it cracking or

splitting?Use a chemical to treat the wood or dry it somehow?
Thanks again for any help .

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website:http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at:http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html