Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Festool comes through for me.

On Mar 28, 4:16 pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:32 pm, "

wrote:

SNIP

You will have to use it at a shop, store to appreciate it. Whether it is worth $1000 roughly to you, ?????

Wow, Russel, I didn't mean to get you all fired up. I didn't say the
machine had no value, or that I was unable to see any.

Obviously you are very keenly interested in this machine, and if you
buy one I hope you will post a review. My post was not meant to be a
comprehensive, comparative look at all types and aspects of different
machine joinery and the machines that make them. It was just a
comment on the Festool Domino.

Like I said in my post, and to amplify what I said, if I were stuck in
a shop or manufacturing plant all day, this might be a good tool.
Since I do remodeling and repairs, most of my work takes me to a
jobsite, whether to repair, build or rebuild. I don't know how handy
that would be to put a face on a cabinet and wait for it to dry, or
assemble some other kind of cabinet components that I would have to
wait for glue to dry. Now we're back at the same thing as biscuit
(waiting for glue to dry) except with a stronger joint.

And if this machine is used as an actual mechanical contruction method
that relies on the Domino as the sole joining technique and material,
you will indeed be waiting for glue to dry. (Think pocket screws
here).

I am sure the Domino will find its way into many a shop and be used
with great speed and delight.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Robert

You are thinking of the Domino as a carpentry tool. Not a furniture
woodworking too. Most of my woodworking tools are not useful or used
when I am doing carpentry and remodeling. My hammer, reciprocating
saw, skil saw, get used a lot. Mud pans, taping knives, utility
knife, elbow grease, drywall screws, etc. are also used a lot. Lots
of drywall screws. Jointer, planer, drill press, routers, etc. do
not. Table saw is useful for both carpentry and furniture
woodworking. Clamps are handy for carpentry but mainly used in
furniture making. I don't think the Domino would have any benefit for
carpentry work. More drywall screws and a second driver would be a
better investment for carpentry work.

I'm looking at it. Have not decided to buy one yet. I have until May
31 to get the special pricing. HaHa. The thing that appeals to me is
the speed and ease. If it can get me to make furniture joints faster,
I will be more likely to make the furniture and acually produce
something. Even if its just a simple end table that costs $50.
Actually making the table could justify the $1000 to me because it
removes a road block to actually getting me to make something. I can
make and have made mortise and tenon joints. Router and U shaped jig
and lots of positioning and clamping. Mortise chisels too. Table saw
for tenons on the ends of rails. Shoulder plane to trim them to fit.
Lot of time and effort. Domino can't add to my ability to make a
joint. But it might allow me to do the joint so quick I can actually
be enticed to make something. Might be worth it to ME.