Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default GFCI question

On Mar 29, 7:47 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
No, nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the terminals are tight on the
wires. My preference is to splice the wires together with pigtails to the
outlet

"DB" wrote in message

I'm putting a GFCI in a bathroom. Ideally I would use the load terminals
and protect the other outlets downstream too. Unfortunately down line from
the GFCI is a refrigerator. I don't want the fridge on a GFCI circuit
because they occaisionally phantom trip and I don't want a bunch of
spoiled food. The GFCI has 4 terminals for Line, 2 neutral and 2 hot and 4
terminals for load 2 neutral and 2 hot. Is there any reason including the
NEC that the load wires cannot just be wired to the extra line terminals
to bypass the GFCI and allow power to the fridge even if the GFCI trips?
Yes I understand none of the outlets after the GFCI will be protected as
they would be if they were wired to "load", and I will take care of that
when I add GFCI to the kitchenette where the fridge is in whatever way
will work best depending on exactly where, electrically speaking, in the
daisy chain the fridge outlet is. The GFCI is one of the idiot proof ones
that comes tripped and supposedly won't reset until it's correctly wired.
Testing it out it works fine wired this way as far as the test and reset
buttons on it go. Is there any practical reason, including the NEC, not
to do it this way? I appreciate good responses but please don't answer if
you don't know anything about wiring or are wondering what NEC, load or
line means.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

As RBM states what you are suggesting will work. However, per current
code a bathroom circuit shouldn't be supplying anything outside a
bathroom.