Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Expansion tank vs relief valve

On Mar 29, 2:38 pm, "Mark" wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:10 am, "BobK207" wrote:

Adding a back flow preventer or a check valve to a domestic water
supply will create a closed system.

Usually the issue of thermal expansion in a close system is handled by
installing an expansion tank on the cold water side of the water
heater.

Could the thermal expansion in the system be handled by installing a
pressure relief valve; with a relief pressure lower than the relief
pressure of the T/PO valve of the water heater?

Of course this relief valve would dump a small amount of water every
day...... approx the amount of expansion of the cold water heated to
water heater temp.

Is the expansion tank solution "better" than the relief valve
solution? or is a relief valve a better solution?

I'm just curious........... since I can see if the relief valve is
working but the behavior of the expansion tank is internal & thus
hidden.....so I have to go on faith as to whether the expansion tank
is doing it's job.

cheers
Bob

seems like a good idea excpet..

1) I would have the outlet outside (but the valve itself inside so it
won't freeze) so that in case the valve fails open, it does not flood
inside

2) use a pressure only valve, not a temperature/pressure valve

It is amazing to me that there are not more problmes casued by this
closed system / thermal expansion situation.

And I think you are right, expansion tanks with a bladder eventually
fail, and those without a bladder, eventually get water logged as the
internal air gets absorbed into the water.

Mark

3

I live where freezing is not a problem so the valve can be exposed.
It is where I can see it & discharges into a flower bed.

The relief valve is pressure only

I guess I was just being lazy & cheap since the relief valve was way
cheaper than the expansion tank & easy to install.

cheers
Bob