Leo Lichtman

Default wiring a 3 phase compressor motor question

"Anthony" wrote: Single phase (110V) is as you describe. 230V power, is
actually 'two phase' power, and they are also out of phase with each other,
so that you get somewhat the same effect as 3 phase.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, but that ain't rite. 230 volt power, (in the US) consists of two hot
lines, each 115 v from ground, and 180 degrees out of phase, so the
difference between them adds up to 230 v. Two phase would require four
wires, one pair carrying a voltage that is 90 degrees out of phase with the
other. It is not used. I remember it as being archaic in my old EE
textbook, which, itself, is about 60 years old.

In the present discussion, trying to make 230v power serve as "sort of"
three phase can ba accomplished with a "phase converter," made up of an
three phase motor idling on the line, and a lot of capacitors. It would be
easier to just buy a single phase motor for that compressor.