Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.house
victor victor is offline

Default Orange Water Stain - NOT Iron???

On Mar 28, 8:33 pm, "WDS" wrote:
On Mar 28, 10:27 am, "victor" wrote:

On Mar 28, 8:05 am, "WDS" wrote:

On Mar 27, 2:43 pm, "limey" wrote:

Mark, we now have a similar mystery. A couple of weeks ago, we had to
have our submersible well pump replaced. I've had orangewatersince
then. Why now?

Maybe your well now is infested with iron bacteria because the guys
who put the new pump in didn't disinfect it properly.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/dwg/febact.htm

"Iron Bacteria"? Are you being facetious, or is this something you've
seen? And how could it exist inwaterwith such low iron content? If
there is such a thing, as there is with the "sulfur bacteria" that
causes the hydrogen sulfide smell, I do chlorinate occasionally, and
that takes care of it. Why not this other bacteria?

I was responding to limey, not you. And yes, there are iron
bacteria. Look at the link I provided above. An excerpt:

Iron bacteria in drinkingwater

For a free brochure containing the information on this page, contact
the nearest DNR office and request publication number WS-004.
Table of contents

1. What are the effects of iron bacteria
2. How do I know if I have iron bacteria in my well?
3. How can I prevent iron bacteria from entering my well?
4. How do I treat iron bacteria?
* Chemical treatment
* Mechanical treatment
5. More information on iron bacteria in drinkingwater.

What are the effects of iron bacteria?

Common effects of excess iron inwaterare a reddish-brown color,
stained laundry and poor tasting coffee. An equally common but less
well understood problem is infestation ofwatersupplies with iron
bacteria. Iron bacteria are a natural part of the environment in
Wisconsin and most other parts of the world. These microorganisms
combine dissolved iron or manganese with oxygen and use it to form
rust-colored deposits. In the process, the bacteria produce a brown
slime that builds up on well screens, pipes, and plumbing fixtures.

In Wisconsin the dramatic effects of iron bacteria are seen in surface
waters as brown slimy masses on stream bottoms and lakeshores or as an
oily sheen upon thewater. More serious problems occur when bacteria
build up in well systems.

Iron bacteria in wells do not cause health problems, but they can have
the following unpleasant and possibly expensive effects:

* Cause odors
* Corrode plumbing equipment
* Reduce well yields (clog screens and pipes)
* Increase chances of sulfur bacteria infestation.

...etc...

So what would be the treatment for this? Is there any reason to expect
that the chlorination I've been doing would exliminate that sulfur-
odor-generating bacteria, as it has done, but NOT kill iron bacteria?

Mark