Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Water softener *and* filter?

On Mar 29, 9:39 am, "Christopher Nelson" wrote:
We have really awful municipal water and a water softener that results
in OK wash water but terrible tasting drinking water. Even using a
Brita pitcher doesn't make the water any where near as good tasting as
buying bottled water. But I'm sick of the expense and trouble of
hauling a case of bottled water home from the grocery store every week
and I'm considering a water filter, a reverse osmosis system, I
imagine and I'm left wondering, if the RO filter takes all the stuff
out of the water, do I still need a softener?

Yes. RO units do not typically purify all the water in the house.
More likely the RO unit is only hooked up to one faucet, usually in
the kitchen. RO units not only make pure water they also send a
significant amount of water to the waste line. So, you would not want
a RO unit for the whole house.

RO is the best technology for producing pure water but they waste
water and can be expensive to buy and maintain. You might consider
installing a whole house filter like I did. The filter itself comes
in different pore sizes including filters of only a few microns, so
you can experiment some. Hard to say if it will improve the taste of
your water. It is a lot cheaper, easy to install, and will serve
the entire house. They also waste no water, unlike RO.