Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

Dan White wrote:

Well, now we've all established my level of expertise (ie, not knowing the
difference between 4 by 4's and 4/4).

I'm really surprised that you all are saying that I should be fine with
stock that is less than an inch square. To be clear, you are saying that I
can make a frame supported in a couple of places in the center, and then
screw that frame into plywood or hardwood panels, add a solid top, and that
will be plenty sturdy for a heavy tank?

Not exactly. Let's say your tank is 1.5' by 5'. Here's what I'd do. Make up
four frame and panel assemblies 19" wide and as tall as I want tha tank to
be. Two for the outside and two for the inside. Make the outside ones 1/5"
taller than the inside ones to allow for a 3/4" rabbet top and bottom. Cut
the 3/4" sheet goods 19"x60" and glue into the top and bottom of the outside
frames. Space the inside frames equally and glue into place.

Now that's the simplified version. The width of the 4/4 stock used for the
frames is a matter of taste but I'd probably use 3" wide stock.

Dan, it appears from some of your questions that you're a relative beginner at
woodworking. Starting with an aquarium stand is a great way to get a lake in
your living room. My suggestion would be to buy a stand or find an
experienced woodworker to build one for you. If you're still interested in
woodworking take some classes, read some books, build some things that aren't
structurally critical. We all had to go through a few years of learning -
and I'm still learning :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down