Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Walking on a pitched roof

On 28 Mar 2007 19:43:35 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 25, 6:33 pm, Lar wrote:
Steve wrote:
On my street, I see roofing guys walking on these very pitched roofs,
almost seems like nothing to them. I try and I'm sliding. I can't do
it. I have a 2 story house, with a 1 story attached garage, and the
gutters are in a spot where the 1 story meets the 2nd story, and I would
like to get up and clean them.

I can't do it, I feel like I have no traction.

This might seem like a stupid question, but is it mental? I don't think
I'm afraid, as I do make the trip up there and try.

It is the shoes/boots?

Steve

What I used to buy in my roofing days that worked best were those cheap
cheap cheap canvas shoes from walmart/K-mart. Soft soles. "dessert boot"
styled shoes also worked well. You could walk up a 10x12 easy enough,
though in the heat of the summer you are taking a risk. Also the foam
rubber inside a couch cushion works well to skoot around if you don't
feel safe walking, use two different cushion foams to move around.
Though if you are steeper than 8x12 you may want to pass for safety sake.

Lar- Hide quoted text -

Walk up a 10x12? That is near vertical.

Harry K

If by 10x12 he means 10/12 or 10:12, it's closer to horizontal
than vertical, and closer to 45 degrees than either.