Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default tv blows fuse

Steve45 wrote:
hi folks i'm new to this forum and have a question . i have a sylvania
srt2127s that blows the fuse as soon as i plug it in. I just started
messing with busted tv's as a hobby because i recently had surgery for
a work related accident and needed something to keep my mind and my
hands busy. I just fixed an old sanyo that just needed a couple of
capacitors and now i'm trying my luck with the sylvania.please talk in
layman's terms as i am not tech educated. pictures or diagrams of parts
to check or replace would be very helpful. thanks,wish me luck!

I agree with the other posts in this thread. May I add that a quick
initial test might be to disconnect the degauss coils from where they
plug into the circuit board (they're the loop of plasticky wire going
round the back of the tube near its perimiter). power up and see. you
may need to replace the 3 legged (or sometimes 2) posistor.
incidentally, it is advisable to wire a 100w bulb in series with the
mains input - over the internal fuse maybe. if it shines you still
have a dead short; if not then you're probably OK, that way you save
fuses.
-B.