Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default New to turning.

Jesse
I agree with most of the others here. (Frightening thought for them but
true.:-)) Learn to use what you have and gradually buy or make more. I have
some tools that just collect dust and a few I use all the time. Some are the
first ones I had and some are ones I have made and some I have bought. Quite
a few are tools I made for a singular purpose and are brought out for that
when it arises.

Note that good steel is relatively cheap and easy to come by, especially for
the manufacturers of the tools. Doubting that few if any make their own
steel, it is what they do with it that counts. Most follow tried and true
forms of chisels, gouges, scrapers and parting tools. Hence many of the
"beginner" sets are great buys for the money. What you can not buy is
practice and experience. That you have to provide and that is what turns a
good tool into a great one.

One thing I think all beginners should do is buy or make a sharpening jig.
That will make all the difference in your tools, cuts, and enjoyment.

By the way, this group is a great tool as well. Use it as much as you like.
We may be opinionated, but over all a pretty good bunch. (Funny, my arm
feels as sore as if I had patted myself on the back?)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate