Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ZZactly@aol.com is offline

Default Tone controls

In another thread which google ½ FUBARed, tone controls were
mentioned.

Pots are the best way to control audio.

Now I never built this circuit but let me splain it. I want opinions,
and number one is audio quality. cost does not matter.

I wanted a bass control with extreme range and a continuously variable
turnover. Rather than playing around with the geometry of the
components I simply amplified the signal about 20dB, and resistively
divided it back down, and sent it throught a low output impedance
buffer. Put the R/C network at the slider and a rheostat determined
the crossover frequency. At the time I figured getting tightly matched
stereo pots was hard enough, I didn't need to complicate it.

The specs boiled down (it took a while to do the math) to +-18dB from
0Hz to a variable crossover of 44 to 484 Hz.

I know idiots blow speakers if you give them a control like that, but
I would still like to build one just for the hell of it.

Can you still buy pots ? I'll take just about any resistance and build
around it at this point.

Actually my system is so flat from about 30-16,000 or so, I only want
those extreme ends boosted, nothing else. Even a 12 band EQ will not
do that.

Can potentiometers still be had ? especially the audio taper ones ?

The design is like a mixing filter and should suffer alot less phase
problems.

But can I get the pots ?

JURB