Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New to turning.

Good advice from Fred and Leo. But here's another take.

Keep turning for a while longer, and really get the feel for the tools
you have. I mean really get confident.

Then if you can, borrow someone else's tools. Do they feel better or
worse than yours? Do they cut better? Can you do the operations that
you are completely familiar with (with all that practice!) easier,
leaving a better surface with their tools?

If so, then you helping define what you want in a tool. Like Fred, I
have one from this guy, one from that guy, and so on. I love my Henry
Taylor 3/8 bowl gouge, and my Henry Taylor 1/2 spindle gouge. But I
really like my Robert Sorby roughing gouge, and my Robert Sorby
Continental gouge.

But I use a really cheap HSS 3/8 spindle gouge for my spindle work. I
love this thing - it stays sharp, and it has a really, really shallow
flute on it so I can put a long nose on the grind without worrying
about goofing up my cutting angle.

Try some tools, see which ones you like, buy those. Don't buy a set
unless you are convinced that you like every tool in the set. Spend
the money on these new tools and get good ones, handled or unhandled,
and you will have a good investment. Mine have lasted me a
unexpectedy long time.

Robert