Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan White Dan White is offline

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

Well, now we've all established my level of expertise (ie, not knowing the
difference between 4 by 4's and 4/4).

I'm really surprised that you all are saying that I should be fine with
stock that is less than an inch square. To be clear, you are saying that I
can make a frame supported in a couple of places in the center, and then
screw that frame into plywood or hardwood panels, add a solid top, and that
will be plenty sturdy for a heavy tank?

thanks again,
dwhite

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Dan White wrote:

Also, would you cut out the tops of the 4/4 (if I go with those) to rest

the
2/4 into as he did, or would you just brace and screw it together?

Just in case you haven't gotten, or read, some of the other responses,

"4/4"
and "4x4" are two different animals. The first is pronounced "four

quarter"
and refers to ordinary 1" stock, which is actually about 13/16". The

second
is pronounced "four by four" and refers to dimensional lumber which is
actually 3 15/32" by 3 15/32".

And again, 4/4 is all you need.

--
It's turtles, all the way down