Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Plastering - why leave an inch unplastered at bottom of wall?

FKruger wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:13:35 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Franko wrote:
"tester" wrote in message
news Hi, I understand this is the norm - but I wonder why - is it to do
with expansion / rising damp or something?

It shouldn't go below the danp-proof course, for sure - if it does then
it often causes problems. I've many times had to cut in back when
refurbishing, having ripped off the old skirtings; it certainly helps.

So that you don't pick up all the dust and crap on the floor and add it into
your plaster finish.

That too! I reckon that's the only reason your average plasterer
doesn't go right to the ground - the take about as much notice of DPCs
as they do electrical sockets. I had one in last week doing some
skimming, and I was tearing my hair out reminding him to plaster *lower*
than the 4" from the floor required to be covered by my skirtings (the
old skirting having gone, and the wall behind being too grotty for him
to take his trowel anywhere near...!)

David

The DPC is below the floor surely?

Well allegedly I suppose. I suppose I'm really thinking of old
properties *without* a physical DPC, where it's definitely not going to
be a Good Thing having plaster down to the ground. Then again, the old
house I'm refurbishing at the moment does have a DPC, but that's at
about 1" above the solid floor, and it had been breached by plaster.
Don't think there's a membrane under the floor though.

David