Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjcw1023@gmail.com is offline

Default 3 way switch help please!!!

I have a 3 way switch setpup at each landing for my basement stairs.
I replaced the three way switch at the top, and it is a combo switch.
Single pole/3 way. tWO LITE TERMINALS AND A COMMON. i WIRED THE TWO
WHITE WIRES TO THE LITETERMINALS AND THE BLACK TO COMMON. aLWAYS ON
SITUATION DEVELOPED. tRIED SWITCHING ONE WHITE FOR BLACK AND
DEVELOPED A SITUATION WHERE THE LIGHT TURNS ON AND OFFFROM THE NEW
SWITCH, NOTHING ON OTHER SWITCH. tHE OTHER SWITCH IS TWO SEPERATE
CIRCUITS, AND A SINGLE POLE/ 3WAY AS UPSTAIRS. tHE upstairs single
pole controls the outside light and works fine.
I have tried the two white and one black in all configs poss on the 3
way part of the switch. The two single pole wires are wired as
beofore.
PLEASE HELP