Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default Another garage door opener problem

, 3/28/2007,7:30:19 PM, wrote:

My Sears garage door opener, which is about 5 year old and used
infrequently, appears to be kaput. Here's what going on.

1 - Door is in good balance and can move fairly easy with one hand
through it's range when disconnected.

2 - When closing, most times the door will reverse at random points.
Sometimes when first starting to close, sometimes when a foot from the
bottom, etc.

3 - It doesn't appear to be related to the eye sensors. The sensor
glows green as it should and if I break the beam with my foot, then
the door won't even start to close.

4 - Tried setting the down and up force adjustments to maximum, with
no effect.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something is shot in the internal force
sensing circuit.

After replacing the gear linkage on my 17 year old Sears garage door I
had the same problem adjusting it properly. The stop and go distances
were erratic and it would reverse wherever it felt like doing so.
After much tinkering with it I realized if I unplug it from the wall
outlet and let it sit for a while it would return to normal and I would
be able to adjust its travel and forces properly. Maybe you need to
remove power for a while and start over.