Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default New to turning.

Hello Jesse,

There are several companies that make good tools: Robert Sorby, Crown
Tools, Hamlet Tools, Henry Taylor, and Ashley Iles. Tools by any of
those companies will be good. I would also recommend that you purchase
high speed steel tools. They hold an edge longer than regular carbon
steel tools and are less likely to be destroyed by overheating when
you are sharpening. I own tools made by each of these companies and
they are all good. One of my favorite tools over the years was a
Robert Sorby 3/8" spindle gouge. I simply wore it out until there was
no more flute.

At the end of my lathe today, I have a 1/2" Crown Roughing gouge, a
1/2" Hamlet ASP 2060 spindle gouge, an Ashley Iles 3/16" Diamond
Parting tool, and two Hamlet skew chisels, 1/2" and 3/4" with rolled
edges. This covers most spindle work that I do. For bowls, I have
three 5/8" bowl gouges with the David Ellsworth grind on them and a
1/2" bowl gouge with the David Ellsworth grind on it. I probably have
50 to 100 other tools accumulated over the years that are used
occasionally for special purposes. Virtually all of these tools were
made by one of the companies mentioned.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 28, 3:49 pm, Jesse wrote:
I am relatively new to the wood turning craft..That being said i bought
a lathe that i could afford at the time as well as tools that that
weren't premium.Both have worked quite well in getting me addicted to
the flying wood shavings .As a beginner project i have made a few tool
handles and as far as i am concerned they turned out quite well. My
question is this ,I am looking to purchase some new tools that are
better quality .But i am not sure how to go about choosing from the
multitude of companies out there .The lathe will be upgraded once i can
afford that but i think that it will take quite a bit of time for me
save the amount needed for what those lathes bring.Any advice would be
greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Jesse