Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Grinder Modification

On Mar 26, 5:20 pm, Robert Drebit wrote:
I had (inadvertently) bought a General 8 ³ 1725 rpm grinder which I now have
found out was built for 3/4 inch wheels. Bought the grinder at a woodturning
show and they sold me 1 inch wheels to go with it. Itıs too late to try send
it back. Has anyone modified such or a similar grinder to handle the thicker
1 inch wheels?

Bob

You can get wheels that are recessed on one or both sides, so that you
can use a 1" or wider wheel on a shorter arbor. These are commonly
used on surface grinders. Likely to find an 8" wheel with a 1-1/4"
arbor hole, but you can bush that down. An 8" x 1" wheel might have a
recess 3" diameter by 1/2" deep. Try MSC or one of the other
metalworking suppliers.

John Martin