Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default old wall - plaster board or wall paper?

Yes, I thought it would be a pain to put the lining paper on sideways, and
never got around to attempting it myself, but a couple of 'old hands' who
did some recent decorating for us, but the lining paper on sideways, without
being asked, or even mentioning it, and I was surprised at how even it all
looks. I think the paint fills up the join line more easily than when I go
via the simpler vertical option.

"Lobster" wrote in message
spamlet wrote:
[top-post corrected]
"Steve R" wrote in message

We have a wall with thick embossed wall paper on it. One builder has
said that the best thing to do is plasterboard the whole wall and then
skim it (dot and dab?) and then paint it with a waterproof
paint (its for a cafe) Another guy has said to strip the wall
paper and put vinyl paper up and then paint over it - cheaper but
will it look ok?

Lining paper looks pretty much the same as plaster once you've
painted over it. Ideally run the paper strips horizontally, so you
won't have any edge problems if you decide to go back to wall paper
later.

I agree, but certainly wouldn't put up the lining paper horizontally.
Firstly, it's a lot more awkward to hang that way; secondly, if it *is*
possible to see any lines beneath the paint (and that's more likely with
horizontal paper given that it's more difficult to hang) then they will
look more jarring if they run horizontally; and thirdly, I cannot
understand the oft-reported 'worry' about 'edge problems' if the lining
paper and final paper are both hung vertically. You just make sure the
two drops are out of synch when you hang them - not exactlty rocket
science!

David