Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix wobbly loose wood dinning chars

My parents have, or had, wooden chairs. That was a continuing
struggle for my Dad, to keep the chairs glued.

The chairs I now h ave, when they come loose I drill a 1/8 hole
from the inside of the hole out through the horizontal rod. Push
em back together, and drill a slightly smaller hole into the end
of the rod. Small dab of vaseline on the end of the rod, into the
hole to lube the threads.

Zip in a black head drywall screw. 1 5/8 inch long works nicely.
Hardly visible, unless you really know what you're looking for.
And folks who do chairs will understand.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Dugie" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: My sister in Montreal is considering buying wood dining room
chairs
: (antique I think), and she asked me how difficult it is to
repair the
: "wobbly" chairs
: I decided to ask here.
:
: Having done a lot of woodworking, my opinion is that the job is
not as
: simple as it may appear; it requires skill, knowledge and time.
I.e,
: carefully remove all necessary parts, carefully remove old glue
etc. from
: all surfaces with fine (400 grit?) sandpaper, etc.
:
: Suggestions would be appreciated!
:
: Thanks.