Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

"Dan White" wrote in message
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

Most hardwoods are quite strong in compression. Even for a 75 gallon I
suspect 2x4s and 4x4s are overkill. I'd build with 4/4 making sure I had

at
least two internal vertical dividers for a tank that size. I used one
vertical divider for my 40 gallon.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you would make a frame entirely
out of 4 by 4's, or would you do it the way the guy with the website did?
don't think this is what you were intending to say.

thanks,

4/4 Is spoken as "four quarter," for nominal one inch stock. 4x4 as in
"four by four," for nominal dimension, is a different animal.

For a single tank and with glued sheet goods to reinforce, the 4/4, which is
really 3/4" thick hardwood would be rigid enough and support anything you
wanted to put to it as a static load. Carry your legs right up to the top
rails and use joinery that tries to compress the end grain and you'll do
fine.

Any construction-grade "S-dry" stuff you get will do the pretzel imitation
as it cures down, possibly warping enough to drop a corner or raise a center
and cause your aquarium to leak. BTDT in the days of metal frames.