Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Choosing a new lav

"Clive" wrote in message
ups.com...
When I move the bathroom in the house how do I determine if the new
toilet is a good "flusher"? I'd rather have some recommendations than
chancing it. A lot of effort seems to go on promoting the appearance
of the device and precious little information on the rather more
important (in my opinion) effectiveness of the "business end". I
guess that a poor installation and poor soil-pipe routing will defeat
the best "flusher" on the market.

So there is some else out there who cares about this aspect of current
sanitary ware marketing.
Perhaps the following anecdote may be of interest.

An ongoing toilet replacement project involved the removal of a low level
close coupled Twyford S trap suite (the type where the outlet turns down
into a pipe in the floor). A good flush had always been obtained and on
removal both the pan outlet and plastic pipe were perfectly clean. Looking
in the outlet end of the pan there was a perfectly smooth glazed circular
path from bowl to outlet. The outside shape of the rear of the pan mirrored
the shape and path of the outlet.

Touring the various sheds and bathroom showrooms it occurred to me to look
into the outlet of the pans on show. The displays clearly did not intended
this aspect to be examined, and it was not always possible. I was shocked
to find that for modern designs with parallel easy clean sides, and some
others too, the path from bowl to outlet was not at all the smooth circular
'tube' found on the old unit, in most cases the bowl opened into a large
unglazed awkward shaped cavity with recessed deep corners before closing
again to form the circular outlet. A recipe for blockages?

A picture of the old pan and a couple of shots looking into the outlet pipe
of some new pans as described below:
http://www.bluestar.65704.btinternet.co.uk/

I am sure 99.9 % of users neither know nor care about the outlet path of
their new pans, only being concerned about the appearance of the finished
bathroom. Another triumph of style over practicality.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

Roger R