Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Removing solder mask from gold fingers - is it possible?

JW wrote:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied
solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100
boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does
anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.

If it is the dark green probimer you have a major problem. It is
usually applied and lightly dried in an oven at low temperature. After
exposure to UV it is developed to remove the unwanted resist and then
baked at a high temperature. After the high temperature bake its
bloody difficult to remove. ( I dont know of any solvent that works
without board damage at this point, although I am not saying there is
not one) The only way that I know of would be scraping or bead
blasting which obviously is going to result in some loss of plating.