Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default would this be crazy?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:43:54 GMT, "jay-n-123"
wrote:

Bah humbug. $350 is probably their minimum charge.

Yeah, I do like to save money if at all possible.

I losened the nut again and put it back on. Now I'm not sure if it's really
still on wrong (although it definitely was on wrong the very first time I
put it on) and it's not leaking (even after doing the laundry), so maybe
it's not going to be a problem.

Darn, you beat me. One way to try to get a cross-threaded nut
screwed on straight is to turn the nut counterclockwise, until you
feel the thread of the nut go over thread of the other part. So then
you know exactly where to start turning clockwise, and I was told and
I think it has worked that way for me that it is easier to get the nut
on straight that way.

Turning CCW gives one a chance to tell that the nut is resting on the
other part evenly, all the way around.

I sometimes have to start several times, because I can't turn the nut
a whole turn with one position of my fingers. So I do it until I
start a quarter or half turn before, going backwards, the start of the
thread.

J.