Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt In Fenton Matt In Fenton is offline

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

Now that you mention that gap I *do* remember it. It's been awhile
since I've seen a tank and even longer since I looked underneathe one.
I ripped off the plastic on a 10 gallon one time, if I remember
correctly the bottom actually sits up inside a little and the sides
overrang the bottom a little.

Yes, table top style tank stands are great.

Never thought about the foam.

One thing amazes me though is how much weight is in there and the
glass and silicone hold without falling apart.

I prefer my tanks with a solid top just in case of spills. But what I do is
put a sheet of 1/2" rigid foam insulation between the tank and the stand to
absorb any irregularities.

If you look at the bottom of your tank you'll see that the glass is up off the
stand by a fraction of an inch. It only touches anything when/if it sags.