Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Car battery question

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:11:48 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:50:05 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

Not necessarily. Put your charger on it's lowest setting and turn the park
lights on. If the battery is completely dead, as in dead as a doorknob,
sometimes chargers won't charge. Turning the park lights on gives it
something to do and sometimes gets the charging action going.

"Good" chargers won't turn on until they see a little voltage from the
battery. It keeps the thing from shorting out if you just touch the
leads together. I think it is really because the charge monitor uses
the voltage from the battery to bootsrtrap itself up.
A "cheap" charger doesn't have that problem, nor does jumper cables.

I have one of those "good" chargers. If the battery is low enough, it
takes a "bad" charger to get it started. After a few minutes, I can
switch to that "good" charger.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell