Posted to alt.home.repair
Dean Dean is offline

Default Car battery question

On Mar 27, 3:57 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, "Dean" wrote:

Also a 6 year old battery is pushing the limit age-wise.I generally
use a battery 2-4 years here in the Midwest then if it's still good I
keep it charged and ready to back up the new one just in case.

Not necessarily... Just after our second child was born in 1991, I decided it
was time for a bigger car, and bought a 1984 Buick LeSabre (which we kept
for another ten years and 150K miles). Somewhere around '96 or '97, the
LeSabre needed a new battery. As I was taking the old one out, I got to
thinking that I didn't remember changing the battery in that car before -- but
I didn't think the car had a new battery when I bought it, either... hmmmm....

So I checked the date-of-manufacture code: October 1983.

AC-Delco. Original equipment. Guess which brand I bought for a replacement.

And we live in central Indiana, not exactly a kind environment for car
batteries.

--
Regards,

Wow! That's pretty impressive,and in a climate with temp extremes! My
Dad did'nt like people to run the radio because He wanted the battery
to last longer! Too strict for Me,,I'll run the radio on a jobsite(or
a party)for hours on end just starting occasionally to charge.I have
plug ins for scanner and radar detector and cellphone that
occasionally are forgotton and remain plugged in for days..
I've heard the drycell car batteries are worth the extra $s,,any
thoughts/expierience on that and will they perform better in sub-0
temps? A younger friend of My Sons' has a drycell battery that's about
6yo and He says it's going strong.
Dean