Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Car battery question

In article . com, "Dean" wrote:

Also a 6 year old battery is pushing the limit age-wise.I generally
use a battery 2-4 years here in the Midwest then if it's still good I
keep it charged and ready to back up the new one just in case.

Not necessarily... Just after our second child was born in 1991, I decided it
was time for a bigger car, and bought a 1984 Buick LeSabre (which we kept
for another ten years and 150K miles). Somewhere around '96 or '97, the
LeSabre needed a new battery. As I was taking the old one out, I got to
thinking that I didn't remember changing the battery in that car before -- but
I didn't think the car had a new battery when I bought it, either... hmmmm....

So I checked the date-of-manufacture code: October 1983.

AC-Delco. Original equipment. Guess which brand I bought for a replacement.

And we live in central Indiana, not exactly a kind environment for car
batteries.

--
Regards,