Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt In Fenton Matt In Fenton is offline

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

On 27 Mar 2007 04:56:02 -0700, "Andy Dingley"
wrote:

On 27 Mar, 03:01, "Dan White" wrote:
I was thinking of making a tank stand for a 75 gallon fish tank,
which will weigh well over 700 lbs.

Be careful of designs from a site about reptiles! Aquaria look a lot
like vivaria and terraria but they're full of water and the weight
issues are much more significant.

I'm puzzled by what's supporting the bottom glass in this design?

Snip

From what I have seen of fish tanks the only thing supports the bottom
is the plastic framing. Which I would recommend, if there are cross
beams to make sure those are supported. But to support the actual
glass, may not be a good idea. I don't know a lot about fish tank
design, but I do recall that the bottoms were usually tempered glass,
which I THINK makes them stronger, but more easily shattered
(oxymoron?) that's why some can't bottom drill their tanks for sumps
and must do it on the back.

Now if you are talking about putting an entire sheet of plywood across
the top of the stand like a table top, then yeah, I'm with you as
that's what I did. It looks better too, than having a hole in the
middle.