Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

"Dan White" wrote in message
Hi all. I haven't posted here in awhile. I was thinking of making a tank
stand for a 75 gallon fish tank, which will weigh well over 700 lbs. What
do you think of this design? Are there any major problems with what this
guy has done?

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml

Don't use construction lumber. 4/4 (hard wood) hardwood framing would be
my choice. Actually, was my choice when I kept fish. Main thing is a
planar top. If this is made of proper material you can support the entire
with sheet goods underneath. Spills are handled by the size of the top,
which protects the base with an inch of overhang or so. A couple of my main
stands (6 20H) began as open frames, then were covered, because it was
easier on the floor to detect and wipe dribbles from the top.