Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Car battery question

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:09:33 GMT, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I went to start my Explorer the other day, and the battery was dead
from sitting so long.

I put a battery charger on it, but I'm not getting anything...zero
amps on the charger.

I've sanded all the corrosion from both contact points, down to shiny
bare metal...still nothing.

I also have a battery tender, so I put that on. It has an LED to
indicate charging...it's not lit.

Does this mean the battery is done for?

I've never seen a bad battery show nothing on the charging meter.
Possibly the battery discharged completely then froze and cracked
internally. Is the outlet where you plugged in the chargers live?

Failure to draw charging current is commonly caused by (1) corroded
connections, (2) extremely low electrolyte level, (3) severe sulphation, or
(4) broken internal connection. A battery with any internal problem is in
danger of rupturing if a high current source such as jumper cables or a high
current charger is connected.

That battery is past its useful life and should be replaced.

Don Young