Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Shower Grout Problem

"Ross Payne" wrote in
:

Thanks, Al. I did not know that the grout on the shower floor needed
to be the sanded variety. Everything I read always said to use
unsanded grout for the shower. Do you think it is worth the effort to
regrout the floor for that reason?

Ross
"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Ross Payne" wrote in
:

I regrouted the floor of my shower, and I think there's a problem.
The grout turns gray when wet, then white again when it dries (the
old grout on the walls doesn't change color when wet). I used an
unsanded white grout (Mapei), and sealed it too. Any ideas? Thanks.

Not a tile wiz but had the same issue once. If it's changing color
it's getting wet. It's not being sealed. Try a different sealer.

Floor grout should be sanded grout BTW.

As mentioned, not a tile wiz. Just an isolated experience here and there.

Everything I read always said to use
unsanded grout for the shower.

Go with what you read if you feel it's a reliable source. Possibly what I
heard/read was only in regard to non-shower stall tile floors.