pyotr filipivich

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

A city wide blackout at 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800 did not prevent
(Don) from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

"Tank trap" is what comes to mind, but call it something else. "Storm
water retention and diversion landscaping." Basically, a ditch which has a
gentle slope on the street side down to an embankment on the property side.
The idea is folks sliding off the road will go down the slope and into the dirt
wall, and not into your yard.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Option two is a "'real' tank trap" of rail road rails vertically in the
ground to serve as the uprights of a fence.

Or you can always put brightly painted stakes pointed at the road, with a
light on them with a sign "Skid here and die!"

I'm kind of partial to putting a wreck on its side, just off the road, with
a sign "Private Road - Mined" on the gate. (And you can tell anyone who
objects "oops - typo. Should read 'mind', its an old New England expression
for 'take heed'").
Bwahahaha.

Anyway, probably the best idea is the landscaped "car catcher" outlined in
the first paragraph.

--
pyotr filipivich.