Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas hot water heater age limit

On Mar 26, 6:24�pm, mm wrote:
On 26 Mar 2007 14:45:37 -0700, "Trail Blazer"
wrote:

My gas hot water heater is 25yrs. old and works fine but looks its age
with a little rust around the bottom, should I replace it soon or wait
until it actually fails. How dangerous is it?

I was told that when they leaked it usually started slow, but in my
case I thought it was the AC condensate which had already leaked on
the floor, and I thought it was taking days to dry, so I didn't
recognize it as a WH problem.

When you get a new one, put a pan under it and connect the pan to a
drain so you don't have to worry about this the next time, and in
addition you can keep the wh until it breaks.

I don't see that causing a frantic rush. *You can decide in advance
who you want to deal with and pretty much what you want to buy, and
anyone can go a couple days or more without hot water. *One can wash
somewhere else or take a spongebath with water heated on the stove.
How are we ever going to fight Al Queda if we can't go a few days
without hot water?

REALLY OLD HEATERS lasted 50 years, they may not have been as energy
efficent, but were built to last!

He may have one of those, it might be 1/2 thru its life.