Posted to alt.home.repair
Kicking Bird Kicking Bird is offline

Default gas hot water heater age limit

"Trail Blazer" wrote in message
oups.com...
My gas hot water heater is 25yrs. old and works fine but looks its age
with a little rust around the bottom, should I replace it soon or wait
until it actually fails. How dangerous is it?

Unless the flood it will cause when it fails is a problem, it's probably not
dangerous.

But if you've got 25 years out of it, it doesn't owe you anything. I'd do a
pre-emptive replacement. The main reason is so you can do it on your terms
and time table and shop around for a good one and a good installer-- not
rely on some plumber you frantically call on a Sunday when it fails...